Tuesday, November 23, 2010

"Learning to Fly" Character Design


Here's a character design piece I made for AnimationRigs.com 's "Master and Student"-themed contest.

Started off with doodles and fond myself in a funny mood (nice to change pace from all that dark, devil-worshiping art I usually do).  Came up with an old geezer being taught to fly by a wickedly cool old bird.


I started painting a background and got to the great point where I loved it so much I didn't want to put anything on-top of it... but alas...


Came up with some poses that seemed dynamic but also straightforwardly describing the figures - since it is a character design after all, and not a 'standard' artwork.  These started out as pencil sketches that were scanned in and colored (like a coloring book!).


And the final step:  Take forever finishing it up and tweaking every detail until you can't even tell what you've done to the piece for the last 20 minutes - that's the sign to STOP.

~Here's a link to the DeviantArt post:

1 comment:

  1. The little red bird looks like its from that game app Angry Birds.

    Nice work, Levi ;]

    ReplyDelete